Sunday, August 2

Summer Sunshine Yellow Polka Dot Nails!

Summer manicure, sunshine yellow nail art with white polka dots or pin dots. Mint green polish from MUA at Superdrug, yellow polish from Miss Sporty.
As we all know, the best colour in the whole wide world ever is Yellow - not just any Yellow; bona fide, cheerful, happy, Sunshine Yellow! (with Primrose Yellow and Lemon Yellow in joint second!). However, I don't know what it is but it's very difficult to wear yellow on your nails. A full yellow nail just never looked quite right until I adapted this tutorial by Bubzbeauty to create my favourite, wearable summery yellow manicure.

For another great summer manicure, look at my Ice-cream, Pastel, Polka Dot nails!



1. If your nails are stained (mine often are!) apply a sheer pinky/peach colour a la french manicure or just a top coat.

2. Grab your polish and make the first swish using the tip of the brush - the narrower the brush, the more control. Then make the 2nd and 3rd swishes starting them a little higher up the nail to give a diagonal effect. Stick with just 3 swishes - apparently it's a well followed rule in design that odd numbers always look better than even (at least that's what Gok Wan says, and who am I to argue?).

Spring summer nail art, yellow with white dots. How to make frilly nails.

3. Once you've done 1 coat it's easier to go over it with another coat or 2. My yellow was quite gloopy and the texture wasn't looking great - but not to worry, the top coat will smooth out any texture issues and no-one will ever know! (unless you tell them in a blog post...).

Summer sunshine yellow manicure with polka dots. How to draw polka dots on nails, pattern.

4. Use a toothpick, dotting tool or kirby grip (bobbypin) to make the dots - I prefer a kirby grip and polka dots but if you like smaller, pin-dots, choose a toothpick. Blob out some white polish onto to some shiny paper - a glossy leaflet is ideal - and make the dots as above, filling in the empty space at the end. TIP: Apply a topcoat before the dots and if you make a mistake it's easy to wipe the dot away without having to start again.

Nail art summer manicure. Superdrug nail polish by miss sporty and MUA in sunshine yellow and mint green with Barry M white polka dots and Barry M shiny topcoat and base coat.

5. Finally let it dry fully then apply a topcoat - and as you can see, the dodgy texture of the yellow is distant memory and my manicure is glossy and shiny. You'll also notice I chose to paint 1 nail on each hand mint green and cover with polka dots, I love this trend, I think it started with Kpop.

Obviously, you can choose any colours you like; mix them up, choose a different shade for each nail or just do 2 as accent nails. I once did this in bright red with white dots and it looked so Minnie Mouse!

I love a good polka dot manicure - it's the easiest kind of nail art - for more nail ideas click below!


Ciao for now
Bobbyanne
xxxx

16 comments:

  1. This looks very nice! Makes the yellow perfectly wearable. Love the accent!
    xo, Pia

    newpolishlover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pia! I love nail looks that you can adapt to any colours you like! :)
      Bobbyanne
      xxxx

      Delete
  2. I don't have this kind of talent, but darn these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure you do, give it a try one day when it's raining outside and you have nothing to do, put your favourite film or netflix on and paint, doodle away for pretty nails! :)
      Bobbyanne
      xxxx

      Delete
  3. So bright and pretty and easy enough for even me to do! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Give it a go, I challenge you :)
      Bobbyanne
      xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely colours! and looks so simple to do but id make a mess haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try just a couple of accent nails in each hand until you get the hang of it :)
      Bobbyanne
      xx

      Delete
  5. I'm useless at doing nails but these look so pretty! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ,they're so girly! You could start small with just 1 or 2 on each hand as accents! :)
      Bobbyanne
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love yellow nail polish for the summer and this looks gorgeous! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is the best colour in the whole world ever!! ;)
      Thanks so much, I love them.
      Bobbyanne
      xx

      Delete
  7. These look lovely. Need to grow my nails so a design would be visible haha. Thanks for linking #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Whenever I cut my nails I take the opportunity to wear my loudest, brightest and most glittery polishes! There are so many colour which look better on shorter nails.
      Bobbyanne
      xx

      Delete
  8. This is such a cute mani!! I completely agree. I'm up for just about any nail color, but yellow is the most difficult to pull off. I finally have a few shades that work on me. :) Thanks for sharing this mani with us at the Best of the Blogosphere link up! We'd love to see you back with another post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is tricky .... even though it's the best colour in the whole world ever! ;-)
      It's always lovely to get such positive comments, and yes, I'll see you next week (as long as I manage to write something!).
      Bobbyanne
      xxxx

      Delete

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!