Friday, April 3

Superdrug DD cream - Daily Defence, in depth test and review

The whole BB cream/CC cream/DD cream phenomenon has crossed over into the realms of tinted moisturisers with catchy little names, however, that doesn't mean there aren't some gems floating around!

This week Superdrug have another 'better than half' price event and, based on the glycolic acid, I decided I'd try the DD cream as it seems the most appropriate for my combination/oily/acne-prone skin. It comes in light or medium, I bought light.

The promises - SPF20, hydrates and strengthens the skin, contains a powerful antioxidant, evens out the skin tone, detoxifies the skin, diminishes the look of pores. Neutralises and protects "from daily aggressions, preserving skin's youthfulness"


* BUAV approved - no little animals have been hurt just for me to look good; "Suitable for vegetarians and Vegans. Superdrug is against animal testing." -- I love this about Superdrug.





Testing Testing...
Here are the questions I want answering;
1. Is the shade light enough? (Think Nicole Kidman, K-pop star, ancient Greek kind of pale - I'm see-through)
2. Is it non-greasy?
3. Will it play well with my make-up?
4. Will it make my skin oily?
5. Will it block my pores...?
6. ...and give me spots?
7. Does it oxidise and darken throughout the day?
8. Does it look good?
9. Does it sink in quickly?
10. What is the finish like?

First impressions.
It smells lovely, like Baby lotion, Isunk in quickly and blended very nicely. It has a light/medium coverage that's in keeping with the whole BB cream theme. The finish is very very dewy without feeling oily or heavy. And yes it's light enough! Hurrah!!! I apply my mineral foundation lighter than usual and it lets some of the dewiness show through.

2.5 hours - My skin is not yet oily, my mineral make-up sits on top of the DD cream beautifully and despite applying less than usual, it does have a more flawless look to it.

4 hours of wear - I blot my T-zone with blotting sheets, my make-up still looks good. The DD cream is not sitting in my pores and it has not creased into fine lines. No oxidising, my make-up is wearing the same as usual (a little cracking due to my skin's natural oils) but has slightly more coverage than usual - all good so far.

 2nd day
Waking up and my skin has no signs of breaking out or reacting to the DD cream - always a big relief! I apply my mineral foundation as normal, not particularly light or heavy. My skin is looking pretty flawless! yay!

3 hours of wear - Oily nose is making the DD cream slide somewhat, I blot it and smooth it over, it looks ok; this is nothing out of the ordinary. My skin in general feels nice, not dry, not oily, just hydrated, more than usual.

6 hours of wear - my skin is less oily than usual. Could this be the DD cream or is it down to something else? It's definitely not making my skin oilier! Yesss! My make-up still looks okay.  I can now say for sure, no oxidisation. In general my skin feels hydrated and quite nice.

3rd day 
No new blackheads, whiteheads or spots. Feeling under the skin for bumps or new spots (particularly around the chin) and my skin shows no signs of anger towards this new addition to my routine.


Final conclusions 
1. Is the shade light enough?  
Absolutely yes!
2. Is it non-greasy?
It felt hydrating and had a dewy finish but did not feel greasy.
3. Will it play well with my make-up? 
It made my make-up look even better and lasted well too.
4. Will it make my skin oily? 
Definitely not, my skin was actually less oily, although I'm hesitant to attribute that to this product alone.
5. Will it block my pores...? 
2 days of long 5+ hours wear and No, not so far. All signs point to non-clogging.
6. ...and give me spots? 
No new spots to report, my skin seems very happy.
7. Does it oxidise and darken throughout the day? 
NO!! :-D No no no no no!
8. Does it look good? 
Yes, it didn't sit in my pores and didn't crease up and make 'wrinkles'
9. Does it sink in quickly?
Yes, quickly enough
10. What is the finish like? 
Dewy, light/medium coverage. The shade matched my skin tone and blended nice and easily.

Overall I'm really happy with it! And even happier that I got it on half-price. My skin felt hydrated at the end of the day and my make-up even lasted longer. No clogs, blackheads or spots on the horizon and a flawless look to my make-up.

It seems I've finally found a decent SPF cream to take care of my skin and block out the harmful UV rays. I'm also hoping that in the long-term my skin is still happy. I'm hoping this'll be great for holidays when it's super hot outside but I need some coverage without applying a heavy layer.

I am happy to recommend it and say if you're looking for a BB cream type product to give you SPF protection, this is a good one. If your skin is drier you may prefer the BB or CC cream, otherwise, give it a try!

Ciao for now
Bobbyanne
xxxx

4 comments:

  1. Wow, DD cream!! I'm feeling a bit outdated with my BB cream haha! It looks amazing, great post! :) xx

    www.pinkieprim.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's nice to hear :-)
      I think they keep using BB/DD cream names because they're catchy, really they're just very good tinted moisturisers!! :-D
      But I did really like this one, still wearing it a week later! Bobbyanne xx

      Delete
  2. I have problem skin and I've been using this cream too - it's brilliant! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!