Sunday, April 5

DIY Instant relief, oatmilk post-shave spritz for red bumps, irritation and itchy legs

This one is for the women who wake in the middle of the night after shaving, savagely scratching your legs until they bleed. For the girls who dread shaving your legs because you know that in a few hours you'll be fighting the urge to tear apart your itchy irritated skin which will be covered in red bumps. I've been there - it's no joke. There are tons of theories about the 'whats whys and hows' but that's another post for another day, right now, let's just make it stop.

For a run-down of the causes and whys of irritated legs read this post and click here for the Ultimate Shaving routine for irritated legs - no more red bumps.

A couple of years ago I came across a huge thread with people offering all kinds of tips from spray your legs with deoderant to encase all your bedding to protect from dustmites. As far as I can tell nobody found any relief.

So I set about researching and experimenting and after a long time and some failures here is my Instant relief, Oatmilk, post-shave spritz; a cocktail of soothing ingredients with an oatmilk base to provide relief whenever and wherever. It won't leave your legs greasy or sticky or smelly. Here is a post with all kinds of tips to change your shaving routine and minimise any chances of the irritation but for now lets get some relief.
 
The Key ingredients



Oatmilk - soothing, calming; when babies have eczema it's recommended that they bathe in oats, the oats turn the water milky and relieve the poor tot's suffering. Oats and oatmilk are wonderful; super cheap and a must for anyone suffering with acne or sensitive skin

Green tea - Also known for it's soothing qualities, why use water when you can use green tea?

Apple cider Vinegar - A strange one I know, but I came across numerous recommendations online about swiping the legs with it after shaving and it has the added bonus of acting like a preservative to stop the spritz from going off

Instant relief, oatmilk post-shave spritz

Ingredients
3 Tbsp oat
300ml of Green Tea (flavoured works just as well)
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 dispersible aspirin
1 Tsp honey (any more and you'll have sticky legs!)

1.) Soak your oats for approx 15 minutes and drain through a sieve; this gets rid of the initial gloop.

2.) At the same time brew a cup of Green Tea (I like to rip open the tea bag and use it like loose leaf) and leave to cool. Add the 2 aspirin.


3.) Put all the ingredients in a blender, adding the honey and apple cider vinegar too and blend together; the oats should be very fine.




4.) Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth; place your muslin cloth over a sieve with a big bowl or jug underneath to catch our miracle mixture! Or just put your muslin cloth directly over the mouth of the jug. Strain the liquid twice to ensure it's super smooth.

5.) Fill up a spray bottle and pour the rest into an ice-cube tray or a cake pop tray and pop into the freezer. When you want to refill your bottle, simply defrost 2 or 3 pieces and leave to melt.



Spray liberally onto your legs whenever you feel the itch starting and need relief, let it dry and brush off any oaty powder residue left behind. Just keep it in the fridge and it'll not only last longer but be extra cooling. You may find that the pump gets blocked with small pieces of oat - apart from straining the liquid an extra time I'm afraid I have no fix for this. Try it in a normal bottle if you find it too annoying.

I hope this helps you out there! Believe me I know how torturous it is trying to resist that itch, how disgusting you feel when your legs are covered in red bumps and how desperate you can be to get some sleep that you actually do spray deoderant on your legs!! Yep, I've done that.

If you have something that works, don't keep it to yourself, help the rest of us!

I wish you happy, smooth, irritation-free legs

Ciao for now
Bobbyanne
xxxx

9 comments:

  1. So glad I read this! I hate shaving as I end up scratching so much I bleed. Definitely going to try this, great post!!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there, it's horrible! I really hope it works for you. I'll be posting a few general tips from my shaving routine too soon, hopefully there'll be something there that can help too x x good luck!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Do you know the value of adding aspirin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And hi,
      Aspirin is the DIYer's salicylic acid which is a chemical exfoliant. One of the ideas floating around about why the irritation happens is that a very thin layer of skin forms some hours after shaving, when the hair grows back through the skin your legs get irritated so the salicylic is there to stop this happening. There are a lot of theories about the causes (a blog post for another day!) but the metaphorical "they" can't quite agree on one of them!

      All I know is this recipe really helps me and I hope it'll help others too :-)

      Delete
  3. WHAT?! I love this! So going to have to remember this!
    (pinning as a reminder)
    ANd thanks for linking up with the best of the blogosphere!! Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to hear, comments like this make my day! :) And it's great to be linking up with fellow bloggers, I'll definitely be seeing you all again, I've enjoyed clicking through the other submissions.
      I hope you give it a try and it helps!

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness...this is AMAZING. What a fantastic idea! I all about DIY beauty, and love natural stuff. I'm going to try this without the aspirin since I'm allergic. Can't wait to try it! Genius to put the extra in the freezer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl after my own heart! I love DIY beauty too, there's a tab at the top listing all my beauty DIYs so far, the Apple cider vinegar toner is by far my most popular and my fave.
      Have fun making this, I hope this helps, I'm sure it will :-)
      Bobbyanne

      Delete

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!