Saturday, January 10

Mineral make-up for acne-prone skin


Lilo Lolo mineral make-up in old packaging, blusher, foundation and eyeshadow and 17 lipstick in the background
We get spots, we cover them with thick, liquid make-up, it blocks our pores and we get more spots, so we cover them again! What else can we do? Mineral make-up is waiting in the wings to treat, cover and heal your acne-prone skin.



I spoke in my acne story about how 3 changes made a big difference and chased away the acne. Switching to mineral make-up was one of those changes. For years I was smearing my chin with thick, studio finish MAC concealer as I tried to cover my spots; blocking my pores, smothering my skin; concealer, oil and dead skin cells mixing and sinking into my pores, breeding bacteria.  My chin was awful for years until one day I sort of woke up, researched and never used the concealer again.

Mineral make-up is made up mainly of zinc oxide. An increasingly common ingredient in acne treatments, zinc oxide is a powerful anti-irritant which means it will help to heal any angry, painful spots. It is also an anti-oxidant (more on anti-oxidants soon!) so it'll help protect your skin from sunlight.

Lily Lolo mineral make up in new black packaging, foundation, blusher, eyeshadow and concealer with revolution eyeshadow palette in the background, iconic 3

When shopping for normal liquid foundations we look for 'oil free' which won't block our pores, here is make-up  that achieves all that AND actively helps your skin, calms it, heals it. I've even gone to bed a couple of times in full make-up (our little secret!) with no nasty consequences - although I certainly don't recommend it!


Don't think of mineral make-up as a 'powder'; it is not made of talc and all the other chemicals usually found in  powder. It is made of crushed minerals; no oil, lotion, water, no paste-like consistency to mix with sebum and sink into your pores throughout the day - it's 'non-comedogenic' (a fancy term for 'doesn't block pores').

Lily Lolo mineral makeup, mineral foundation in the shade china doll. Zinc oxide make up
Remember, although mineral make-up is non-comedogenic, your pores can still be blocked when oil, dead skin cells and pollution are present, but at least you'll know it's not your make-up causing the problems.

If you suffer from blocked pores, acne, blackheads, little bumps, do yourself a favour - throw out the liquid, cakey make-up, stop smearing it over your pores and treat your skin to a veil of healing minerals instead.

Lily Lolo mineral make up eyeshadows in bronze sparkle, gold digger and pink champagne
Lilo-Lolo mineral eyeshadows L-R Bronze sparkle, Gold digger and Pink Champagne

Do a little Google search and find a mineral make-up that might fit you! My brand of choice is Lily-Lolo, an online British brand who ship all over the world, BUAV approved so no cruelty to animals, no testing on animals and fully vegan. 

And if you're still unsure or if you've made the switch, find out how to get the best application here; Mineral make-up - application tips.

If there are other brands I don't know about comment below and let me in on the secret!

Ciao for now
Bobbyanne
xxxx 

4 comments:

  1. It's like you've read my mind - I've been googling mineral makeup this evening haha! I've been having bad outbreaks on my face and my boyfriend laughs at me every time he sees me trying to conceal them with heavy make up! It's a silly concept haha.

    I will definitely be checking out Lily-Lolo!

    Charlotte xx
    dobeautywithcharlotte.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, you sound just like me so I'm glad you found this post!
      Lily Lolo sell little samples of the foundation, so it's a great way to try it out without spending too much. Mild to moderate acne is my own skincare issue so most of the posts on here relate to it.

      Have a go at the apple cider vinegar toner http://promisingbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/09/apple-cider-vinegar-toner-1-major-step.html, and also the oil cleansing method to speed things along and if you put them together with the mineral makeup you'll definitely see a big improvement in no time.

      Keep me updated! Good luck, Bobbyanne xx :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm very glad that I came across this article. I've struggled with acne for a long time, and my current makeup doesn't do anything to improve that. You mentioned that switching to mineral makeup helped improve your skin, so I'm hoping it will do the same for me.

    Susan Hirst | http://www.sheermiracle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan! Also have a look at the 'Anti-acne rules and routine' at the top of this page for a comprehensive list of the things that cleared up my acne. When looking for a mineral makeup I believe their are loads of brands online, just make sure you avoid any make-up containing bismuth oxychloride which has the opposite effect. Zinc, however, and the ingredients of the Lily Lolo make-up are great! :)
    Bobbyanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!