Tuesday, September 30

Why you need to STOP reading women's magazines!

Hi!
I love a good 20 minute flick through some glossy mags, looking at clothes, make-up and travel destination; it's like shopping without the blisters. But nowadays I prefer to find a few YouTubers rather than the glossy mags.

Over the last 5 years or so I just got bored and stopped reading them. But sometimes I'll grab one and sit with it for half an hour and the effect it has on me is huge.

My self-esteem dies.

I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me and generally I like my body and my life. But when I read one of these magazines for the next week afterwards I'm so focused on every part of my body that I hate.

It's not the models or the beautiful ads, I accept that they're photo-shopped and the girls look 'hard' to me, I don't really want to look like them. It's the content of the magazines.

In a nutshell this is how these magazines go;

Womens glossy magazines, lose weight, diet, body confidence, feminism, pressure on women

Of course there are great articles buried in there and lots of orgasm related pieces (the more expensive the magazine the better the orgasm!!) but from the 'trashiest' 32 page right up to the weightiest glossies the above topics are repeated in every issue, week after week, year after year. 

By the time I close the glossy cover my thoughts are as follows;
My job is rubbish, I don't get paid enough and I've ruined my life.
God I'm so fat
I should go shopping
I need those sandals
I'm going to start a diet!
If only I had that skirt
I don't earn enough money
I should look like her
No more eating
My life is rubbish
I'm going shopping.

I never used to notice how bad I felt until I'd gone years without reading one. I was happy.
 I was enjoying the life I have and not pining for the life I didn't, I was enjoying lovely meals and eating out, exercising because I wanted to not for a desperate longing to drop a stone and most of all I like my body

The feeling of dissatisfaction was gone.

And you know what? I haven't turned into some enormous greedy overweight monster with awful fashion sense!!! Who would have thought?!!

Laughing owl, animal bird

Maybe I'm really susceptible to media messages, maybe I'm not quite secure enough to say pah! in the face of these articles, but I feel like I can see through it all now and I've come out the other side. What do you think?

I still like flicking through the free magazine you get with the Sunday newspaper and I love to watch YouTubers like Zoella, Blogilates and Bubzbeauty on everything girly (fashion, skincare, fitness, makeup) but they don't make me feel bad about myself and they don't tell me I'm not good enough. 

I'm a girl, I don't read magazines, I don't hate anything about my appearance.
And I intend to keep it that way!
Ciao for now
Bobbyanne
x x x x


photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/nbarreto/266361304/">Emerging Birder</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!