Saturday, August 16

Cleansing - What Why and How?

In a nutshell;
What? washing your face
Why? so you don't get spots
How? with a facewash

Cleansing glorious cleansing! One of the biggest impacts on your skin. If done right it can change your face! You'll glow, you'll be clean, you'll be Miss Smooooth. . .if done wrong you'll sigh, you'll probably apply more makeup. In my acne story the biggest B-I-G-G-E-S-T impact in clearing up my skin was changing my cleansing habits. For those of us prone to acne, this is probably our most important step!

What is cleansing?

Put simply, washing your face. Cleansing means getting off all the makeup from the surface and - hopefully- washing away all the gunk that's sunk into your pores throughout the day. It's also important to cleanse in the morning, but you'll be able to use a lighter product and it'll be much easier.

Why do we need to cleanse?
Spots, blackheads, whiteheads, blocked pores aging. . . isn't that enough? Let's take a second to think about all the nastiness that gets onto and into our skin during the day; make-up, bacteria from unwashed makeup brushes (is this you? naughty!), pollution, bacteria from doors etc on your fingers when you touch your face, dirt in the air (think bus exhaust fumes - yuk!), in some cities fine dust is a problem and of course your skin's own oil. Think about it all just sitting on your face; bacteria, pollution, dirt, make-up, oil, and then you reach up to touch your face and this nasty cocktail is wiped into your pores. . . . do you feel like you need to wash right now?! Me too!!
         If this is not cleansed away properly you WILL get spots, blackheads, whiteheads, congestion, fine bumps under the skin and blocked pores.

How do I cleanse thoroughly and properly?
Cleansing is not about scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing. As tempting as it is to grab a high alcohol, exfoliating, harsh cleanser and scrub your face, you will only make skin issues worse. I made this mistake as a teenager, I did everything wrong. I stripped my skin of its oil, I scrubbed until my face was red, I irritated my young skin and gave myself more issues.

Your cleansing routine needs to 1. Clean out your pores, 2. Be gentle to your skin- no irritation! 3. Be suited to your skin type. The best methods involve rinsing with water.

If you wear face makeup during the day you may want to double cleanse or oil-cleanse to be absolutely clean. There are a number of types of cleansers available out there;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment with a question or your own top tip!